Saturday, July 28, 2012

The Stanley: Cascades and "Haunted Rooms"

Regardless of a few hiccoughs in the original travel arrangement (connected through Chicago instead of Dallas) we finally managed to get to Denver. I had reserved a convertible Mustang, the prior renters had wrecked one and the other just didn't bother to bring theirs back (yet?), so we got the faithful charger. We checked into the historic Stanley Hotel a few hours later - where we immediately decided we were goin to eat at the Cascades. Funk's drink was called the Millionaire's cocktail and had 107 proof bourbon, absinthe bitters, and a few other potent liquids. I opted for the black orchid... Mainly because it has something called "elderflower liqueur" and that sounded way too nifty to not try. Mine was smooth and floral. I'm pretty sure Funks drink picked him up, slapped him around, called him a few choice names, AND had its way with him. It was the first time in 10 years I have heard him say, "I may not be able to finish this". Which he followed with, "well, I CAN finish it... But I don't know if it's wise.". That, my friends, is a helluva drink.. He had these meatball things that were amazing and I had a short rib that was fantabulous. Tomorrow: RMNP!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment